Waking up every day (well - most days) striving to be the best parent I can be


and even if I'm not earning an "A," I'm finding the humor in every day moments


and situations.




Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Where?" - Part 2 or The Plight of the Two Car Family

Science Girl and I share the monumental task of driving the boys to and from school and extracurricular activities. Both boys have backpacks filled with important schoolwork. And they both have bags filled with sports equipment. When they are driven home, we always remind them to get their things out of the car. Sometimes they listen, but other times . . .

Secret Service believes in traveling light and not doing any task that isn’t absolutely necessary. For those reasons, he has been the premier violator of the rule that you take your things with you when you exit the vehicle. We very ineffectively have repeatedly reminded him. One afternoon last spring, he suddenly realized that Science Girl had left on a business trip in her car with his school backpack, homework and school issued laptop computer in the backseat. Secret said he had homework to complete and had to have all those things with him at school the next day. We bonded by pacing and hyperventilating. We called Science Girl, who was en route to the airport. After delivering an “I told you” lecture to Secret, she told us where she planned to park the car so that we could retrieve his important items. Looking at my key ring, I remembered that I’d lost my key to Science Girl’s car. I received an “I told you” lecture and she promised to leave the car unlocked.

We jumped into my car, Secret, Sport and for good company, the dog (who was an unwitting bystander to the craziness), and drove to the airport parking lot. We entered the huge lot and surprisingly were able to find the car without any problem. I allowed myself a moment of jubilation before we pulled the door handle and found Science Girls’ car to be locked. More hyperventilating. Secret and I unraveled a bit, each blaming the other for the dilemma we were in. Then, we pulled ourselves together and joined forces against Science Girl. Why was the car locked when we’d told her not to do so? I called Science Girl, ready to give her a piece of my mind, but she defended herself saying she believed she’d left the car unlocked and that some misguided #@!% good Samaritan must have locked it. Secret and I started to whimper, Sport said he was bored, the dog looked confused.

Science Girl had an idea – ask the workers at the parking lot to break into the car. I approached them hesitantly. Maybe they pitied us (I think the dog added a bit of Grapes of Wrath poignancy to the picture) but whatever the reason, they agreed to help. Luckily, Science Girl had left the drivers’ side window open a crack and using a tool, they were able to open the door. Secret was reunited with his possessions, we thanked the people profusely.

On the drive back home, Sport suggested that we purchase one of those break-in-the-car devices so that we'd be prepared in the future. I assured him that Secret Service had learned his lesson. When we reached the house, the kids went inside and I took the dog for a short walk to reward him for his patience. When I returned, I glanced into the car. Secret had gone into the house leaving all the rescued items in the car. I made a mental note to make a copy of Science Girls car key.

No comments:

Post a Comment