Waking up every day (well - most days) striving to be the best parent I can be


and even if I'm not earning an "A," I'm finding the humor in every day moments


and situations.




Saturday, September 24, 2011

Dinner Time

My current work schedule has allowed me the opportunity to plan and cook dinners at home, which I would enjoy if the boys would eat what I prepare. Instead, if one likes what I make, the other does not, and sometimes, neither likes it. I like trying new recipes so I had been scouring the Food Network site for ideas. Each evening, I would happily set the food on the table with recognition about the chef who created the recipe like, "Paula Deens' spaghetti pie." By the way, I thought Paula Deens' spaghetti pie was delicious, but neither boy would eat it. The recipe made enough for 12 people which resulted in a lot of leftovers for lunches for Science Girl and me. (Science Girl started to crumble when I packed the spaghetti pie in her lunch the third day and on day 4, she threatened to leave me if I sent it again.) After weeks of new recipes, but the same results, Science Girl did an intervention on me. She sat me down and had me look at the facts.

1. The boys (despite my best efforts) are not adventurous eaters.
2. (And, much like #1) - The boys want to eat the same foods over and over.

Her conclusion was that I should just make the foods they will eat. That leaves me with the following repertoire of dishes - burgers, steak, pasta, eggs, pizza. (Boring!)

I have heard that if kids help make the food, they are proud of their efforts and will be more invested in eating what they helped to prepare. I talked to each boy separately about developing a menu for a dinner. Sports' idea was to buy already prepared sushi and serve it. I nixed that so he's had to go back to the drawing board. Secret Service suggested making egg drop soup. He's made it before and both boys love it. I was encouraged - an idea I could work with. "What else should we serve?' I asked. Secret looked confused. "That's all," he said. "That's the whole meal?" He nodded.

So, as I write my grocery list, filled with the same old items, I can't help but check out the Food Network site, looking for recipes for tofu (I could pass it off as a pale burger) or calzones (like pizza but inside the double crust). I hope I can find a compromise between what they want and what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment