Waking up every day (well - most days) striving to be the best parent I can be


and even if I'm not earning an "A," I'm finding the humor in every day moments


and situations.




Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Imaginative Play?

I encourage the boys to participate in imaginative play but their imaginations usually result in things careening out of control in one of two ways - someone gets hurt and cries or the house gets messed up. Here's how it's shaking out lately.

Recently, Sport has made several complaints that Secret Service has squirted water on him. Sport has tears (or water droplets) in his eyes and has pointed to the places that are wet. When questioned, Secret has the following defenses - #1 - "I didn't do it." (Always a good place to start.) Next - #2 - "I don't see any water." Then, while laughing - #3 - "He did it first." (Sport, starting to laugh, vehemently denies this.)

Last weekend, the boys told me they were going to play in the loft. First, they set up chairs to resemble the interior of a bus and watched a part of a game that showed people riding a city bus. Then, they moved the seats around to look like they were in an airplane. Secret set himself up in the "cockpit," using a simulator on the computer to "fly." Sport sat behind him, lounging in what appeared to be first class (lots of legroom) while watching a DVD and drinking ice water. (I have cracked down on no food or beverage outside of the kitchen.) In the spacious seat beside him sat a stuffed animal, a Husky dog, perched cheerfully for the excursion.

There's a sticky note on the wall near the loft that says, "Motel Bus - Please Use Other Door." It has an arrow that points to the bedrooms. Closer to the bedrooms is a sticky note that says, "Next Departure - 7:35, 7:50, 8:15." This game seems to have spread throughout the house because in the office, I found an old computer case filled with a hockey jersey. Next to it, an envelope with handwritten information about a flight from Los Angeles to Denver on United. In the envelope, my old VISA bankcard and Sport's school ID from two years ago.

I think it is imaginative play and not a well-planned runaway to join a National League Hockey team. I am slightly suspicious, however. Sport is on a vigorous campaign to have a house key. I might need to look into this further.

No comments:

Post a Comment