Waking up every day (well - most days) striving to be the best parent I can be


and even if I'm not earning an "A," I'm finding the humor in every day moments


and situations.




Friday, October 14, 2011

Cotillion

These past two Sundays, Sport put aside his mud-caked cleats and got spiffed up to join about a hundred other fourth and fifth graders in their quest to learn (as the Cotillion brochure states) "contemporary etiquette skills." The experience supposedly helps students develop communication, socialization and dance skills. I don't think good manners ever go out of style and I wanted Sport to have this opportunity, but even I wonder when and where he'll use these new skills.

We'd purchased a black pinstripe suit for Sport last year and with the hem taken down on the pants and a deep inhale while zipping up, Sport was able to get in it again. The first week, he selected a striped tie to go with the outfit. When I took him to the class, I was struck by how wonderful all the little girls looked in their brightly colored party dresses, pumps with little heels and white gloves. The second week, Sport inquired about wearing a bow tie, saying he'd never worn one and wanted to. Luckily, while on an unrelated errand, I discovered one for $5 and snapped it up. He was thrilled and went off for his second class looking very much like a waiter.

Sport shares his progress with us each week.. He's learned the proper way to ask a young lady to dance. He's learned the Fox Trot, Waltz, and Cha Cha. He also did a reenactment of how to present your date with a cup of punch. Happily, he did not spill any on the beautifully dressed girls.

I remember being taught to waltz in fourth grade. At that point, I was among the tallest girls in the class and spent every dance session trying to get Ralph Bromborsky, one of the tallest boys, to be my dance partner. Although I think I managed to have us dance together a time or two, we never took off as a couple. I lost sight of Ralph as we moved into Junior High school, but held on to that image of myself as a tall girl long after my slower growing peers climbed above me and what had seemed tall in fourth grade became average height by eighth grade.

Standing on line to check Sport in at the Cotillion, I noted that he was among the taller of the children. When I leaned down to tell him good-bye, I whispered, "Ask a tall girl to dance." He didn't understand, but he promised he would.

No comments:

Post a Comment