Waking up every day (well - most days) striving to be the best parent I can be


and even if I'm not earning an "A," I'm finding the humor in every day moments


and situations.




Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Gratitude

Sitting at the kitchen table in my pajamas, drinking coffee, thinking about gratitude on this Thanksgiving morning.  While Science Girl makes breakfast, the boys are watching the Macy's parade.  The dog wanders around looking for scraps, the cat positions himself on the top of the couch, a sunbeam warming him.

In the spirit of the day, the mood is bright.  Science Girl summons us to the table for bagels, eggs and a large platter of fruit.  The boys are cheerful, happy, healthy.  They are talking about the new video game Sport purchased yesterday, wondering if the neighbors will be available to toss the football.  Later, they will throw each other down on the floor in some type of non-sanctioned wrestling moves which will end in angry words and tears.  But for  now, we are all engaged in pleasant mealtime conversation.

I look around the table, aware that this isn't the life I had pictured for myself.  I didn't have any conscious thought of being attracted to women until I was in my twenties, so as a teenager when I imagined my future, it would not have included Science Girl, now seated to my right.  And while I always knew that someday I wanted to be a mother, I didn't imagine I'd be the adoptive mother of two Latin American boys.  I smile looking at my sons - both smart, funny and handsome.

In my gratitude, there is a sense of wonder.  I'm grateful that even though as a teen I lacked the foresight to know what would make me feel happy and fulfilled, life gave it to me anyway.  Today, I take a moment to be thankful for surprises.



No comments:

Post a Comment