Waking up every day (well - most days) striving to be the best parent I can be


and even if I'm not earning an "A," I'm finding the humor in every day moments


and situations.




Saturday, August 6, 2011

One of many reasons why I'm tired

When I've mentioned being tired, a few friends noted that my first blog entry was posted in the middle of the night and these friends helpfulfully suggested that I'd be less tired if I slept. That's good logic and I can't argue with it.

However, sleep often eludes me and I've decided to make that work for me. I've taken a part-time overnight position which capitalizes on my inability to sleep by necessitating that I stay awake all night at least two nights a week.

I think we should all work with our strengths and one of mine is that I am able to stay awake at night. Truthfully, when it is bedtime, I resist going to sleep. I blame my parents (this is a theme) for putting me to bed earlier than other children every night of my childhood. I remember going to bed while other kids continued to play outside in the summer and missing the good TV shows because they were past my bedtime. (One of my wishes, while growing up in New Jersey, was to live in one of those time zones where the shows came on an hour earlier. Sometimes dreams really do come true.)

I started this new schedule this summer, so my children have been at home when I've returned from work, groggy, in the morning. Thankfully, they've been supportive of my need for daytime slumber. I think they enjoy not being under my watchful eye, as my eyes are closed. I don't think anything too terrible has occurred while I slept, mostly the same things that go on when I'm alert - avoidance of chores and excessive TV watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment